Thursday 24 January 2013

Review: Bio-Oil




Everybody has scars whether it be from surgery, accidents, burns, insect bites, scratches or things like chickenpox.

How about little body imperfections? Like stretch marks, uneven skin tone, ageing skin or dehydrated skin?

For the past 6 weeks, I have been trying out a very interesting product. As you can read from the title, that product is Bio-Oil. I had been interested in Bio-Oil for a long time since I myself have stretch marks on my hips (or my 'love handles' as I like to call them!) and a scar on my knee from a surgery I had in April.
As you know I subscribe to Bellabox and in the November box, some people received a full sized Bio-Oil to try out, I didn't. One of the lovely ladies from Access Communications who represent Bio-Oil here in Singapore, saw my post and asked if I would like to be sent the product to review for them and I happily agreed.
Here is how we got on!


What is it and how does it work?

Bio-Oil is a multi-use, specially formulated 'dry' oil created to improve skin problems and maintain a healthy looking and feeling skin.

It contains a breakthrough ingredient called  PurCellin OilTM  which helps to lower the viscosity (density and stickiness) of the oil which in turn enables the oil to absorb into the skin a lot faster and really penetrates into the deeper layers of the skin to the damaged cells, so it doesn't just sit on top of the skin.

Bio-Oil is made up of many different natural plant oils and vitamins, each providing their own benefits to your body.

~ Vitamin A
   helps in the improvement of skin's elasticity, texture and tone. (reads RETINYL PALMITATE on ingredients).

~ Vitamin E
   most widely used antioxidant in skincare products today, increases the moisture content of the epidermis, thereby making the skin softer, smoother and more supple. It also assists in the maintenance of healthy-looking skin.

~ Calendula Oil
   Calendula Officinalis, more commonly referred to as marigold, has been used for centuries as a natural antioxidant and has the ability to clarify and condition the skin.

~ Lavender Oil
   widely known for its skin conditioning properties.

~ Rosemary Oil
   helps to invigorate and condition the skin.

~ Chamomile Oil
   has a calming and soothing effect and is particularly beneficial for sensitive skin.


The product claims to:

  • improve the appearance of new and old scars (from surgery, accidents, burns, insect bites, scratches or conditions like chicken pox)
  • prevent formation of stretch marks during pregnancy and rapid weight gain or loss and helps to improve existing stretch marks.
  • improve appearance of uneven skin tone caused by hormonal fluctuations, skin-lighteners or excessive sun exposure.
  • smooth and tone ageing, sagging and wrinkled skin (on face and body)
  • replenish skin's natural oils, stripped away from things like extreme weather, water with high chemical content, frequent bathing or drying out from central heating/air-conditioning.


Personal Experience

Day 1

After 6 weeks



Application and First Impression

Scent - Lavender and Herbs, kind of spicy (almost smells warm if that makes sense!)
Texture - Feels quite dense to the touch. Warms the skin.
Absorption - Very quickly
After Effects - skin is very soft, non-greasy or sticky.

I applied this twice a day to my knee in a clockwork motion until the oil was completely absorbed. The recommended minimum usage to see a result is 3 months, after 6 weeks I can already tell a difference in the colour of the scar, but more so the texture. Where the skin had been kind of wrinkled and saggy before, it has definitely tightened and become more smooth.

From this week, I am going to start using this on my stretch marks. I didn't initially use it on them since it was before Christmas when I started using it and well... we all know what happens at Christmas time! But I've started exercising and eating healthy now so I'll let you guys know how I get on later in the year.

Packaging: 


Convenient squeezy plastic bottle, easy to dispense desired amount of oil so you don't waste any.

Size: 60mL
Price: SGDS$15.50

Availability: Selected independent pharmacies and departmental stores, Guardian, Unity and Watsons.

(*Watsons is having special CNY offers on a lot of their products, and Bio-Oil 60mL + Free Bio-Oil Antibacterial Wipes for S$14.50, usually S$17.50!)


Pros & Cons

Pros
  • I used it 2x daily for 6 weeks and I've hardly used any product! Granted I only used it on a small area.
  • Easy to dispense product
  • Affordable price point
  • Great for travel (fits in hand luggage)
  • Suitable to use on face because it won't clog pores
  • Probably the biggest pro, it worked!

Cons
  • I found that sometimes the oil had collected around the hole and when I took the cap off it was a bit messy.
  • Twice a day, every day for a minimum of three months is quite tedious.


Overall Thoughts


Great product! Even if you aren't looking for a treatment oil, there are so many things you can do with it that you may not have thought about. Like putting some in your bath water, on your eyelashes to keep them healthy and lots more interesting things!  (Click here to read an article about the many ways you can use Bio-Oil!).








Where to find Bio-Oil and Access Communications

Website   |    Facebook   |   Twitter




Have you guys tried this product? Let me know in the comments below! 


Thanks for stopping by, 
Becky



*The product mentioned in the review was provided by the company for my review consideration. 
I was not payed nor am I affiliated with this brand. All opinions expressed are my own*

1 comment:

  1. Hey Thx for the reviews. I have used bio oil. It's really effective :)

    ReplyDelete